Now that you have booked your storage unit, it is time to pack up and start playing Tetris with your storage pieces. Here are some handy tips on packing, organizing and storing your goods.
You might feel tempted to just throw everything you can into the unit as quickly as possible. However, if you take your time and be methodical about how you pack your storage unit, you will ensure that you are getting the most out of your space and, by doing so, minimize the risk of damaging your items.
The first question you have to ask yourself is: how often will I need to get into the unit to access my things?
If you require constant access to your storage unit, then it will be necessary for you to leave a pathway to the back of the unit.
Place your most frequently needed items nearest to the door.
Shelving increases storage capacity by taking advantage of the room’s height and helps make the items more accessible as well as to maximize the space.
Not so frequent Access
If you do not need to access your belongings very frequently, then the thing to do is to book the unit with the smallest amount of space you think serves your necessities and pack it completely full.
Pack the unit high so that it will hold more. Keep in mind to place the heavy items on the bottom and the lighter, more fragile items on the top. Leave a small gap between every item and the walls, as well as some space between boxes.
General Storage Tips
Here are 10 general storage tips that you should follow regardless of how often you will need to access your belongings:
1. Make sure you use quality boxes and not the old ones you have lying around.
2. Store your valuable or breakable items properly by wrapping them in bubble wrap, tissue paper or old sweaters and placing them in a box.
3. Fill boxes as full as you can, and make sure to distribute the weight evenly to make stacking simpler.
4. Label each box and list the contents of all the boxes, and make a diagram of their placement for easier retrieval later and you know what is where.
5. When stacking, put the heavier items on the bottom and the lighter or unusual-shaped items on top. Marking the boxes Light, Medium & Heavy while packing will help.
6. Always be careful not to stack too many items on heavy boxes that contain fragile items.
7. Don’t put big, heavy or sharp items on top of upholstered furniture to avoid scratches.
8. Cover your furniture with a blanket, sheet or other covering to minimize exposure to dust.
9. In order to maximise self-storage space, beds and tables should be taken apart or folded.
10. Glass, mirrors, and picture frames should have their corners protected with foam or cardboard.
By following these tips when you organize your storage space, you will save yourself time and will avoid having to dig around or do some “mountain-climbing” to find what you need.