This is the second in a series of articles that we have prepared on moving house. Take a look at the bottom of this article for links to the rest of the articles in the series.
What You’ll Need
- Boxes (various sizes including cardboard wardrobe boxes for hanging clothes)
- Packing Tape
- Packing Paper/Newspaper
- Scissors/Sharp knives
- Stickers – preferably different colours (you’ll find out why in a later article)
- Marker Pens
- Mattress Covers
(Boxes Nos. 1)
(Boxes Nos. 2)
Keep Important Papers With You
Time To Start Packing
Keep Things Together
Use Empty Space
Don’t Make Boxes Too Heavy
Final Packing Tips
- Cushion the bottom of boxes first. Do likewise with the sides for fragile items.
- Wrap all fragile items in newspaper, kitchen towel, tissue or clothes.
- Use heavy duty string or cord to secure furniture, doors etc. as tape can damage veneers.
- Pack all your children’s toys together, in selected boxes, with their help.
- If you are using a professional mover, leave the china and other fragile valuables for them to take care of. This way they will be fully responsible for any breakages.
- Set aside a couple of boxes and fill with items needed the day of the move – coffee maker, coffee, sugar, biscuits, paper-plates, hand tools, scissors, extension cords, mobile phone charger, plug adaptors, bucket, rags, soap, linen, paper towels, toiletries.
- Set aside a few days worth of clothes, food and other essentials you will need prior to the movers arriving at your new home and prior to unpacking.